This post may contain affiliate links! I will receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you purchase something recommended here.
Summer in New York City is my absolute favorite. It’s the time of year New Yorkers decide to exit our relatively minuscule apartments and join the tourists in experiencing all the city has to offer.
No wonder so many people travel here during the summer months!
The sun is shining. New Yorkers are out of their signature black clothes style. People are getting outside and lounging in the parks, or they’re out of the city at their summer homes in The Hamptons. The world is brighter and New York City’s historic streets are open for the hordes of travelers to come in.
What’s the problem then? This all sounds fantastic! Well, since there are so many things to do in New York City during the summer months, unless you write it all down, something is bound to be forgotten.
That’s why it’s imperative for you to create a summer bucket list for New York City must-see activities. With this list, I’m sure you’ll see why!
Presenting, the Ultimate Summer Bucket List for New York City:
- Ride the Staten Island Ferry over to Empire Outlets. Getting an up-close view of the Statue of Liberty while we’re at it happens to be a very happy accident!
- Grab an ice cream cone from Mister Softee
- Attend an outdoor movie night
- Spend a day exploring Governors Island and grab a drink at Island Oyster
- Wake up early and rush a Broadway show
- Stay up late to catch a performance of Shakespeare in the Park
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, then grab a slice from Grimaldi’s and a cone from Ample Hills Creamery
- Give free kayaking from Pier 26 a try
- Go to a Yankees baseball game
- Relax on the Great Lawn in Central Park
- Go to the beach – There’s no limit to beach ventures! In addition to the Far Rockaways in Queens, there are so many phenomenal beaches to explore on Long Island, just a quick train ride away
- Travel down to Coney Island and spend a day on the boardwalk or at the New York Aquarium
- Spend a day out wandering through the different art galleries in Chelsea
- Spend a night out at the Summerstage Festival
- Attend the Pinknic Festival
- Wake up late and indulge at an outdoor, midday brunch spot
- Take the Tram over to Roosevelt Island and explore Four Freedoms Park
- Ride the North River Lobster Company’s floating lobster shack for an afternoon up and down the Hudson River
- Listen to the New York Philharmonic during their Concert in the Parks summer tour
- Walk the High Line and climb the Vessel at Hudson Yards
- Take advantage of free hours for New York City museums
- Broadway in Bryant Park – Each Thursday afternoon, a selection of Broadway and Off-Broadway productions will perform a song or two from their show. It’s a great way to catch a quick glimpse of a new project
- Dance the night away at the Lincoln Center’s Midsummer Night Swing, or any of the other incredible festivals the Lincoln Center throws over the summer
- Grab a drink at a rooftop bar and relax in the sunshine
- Watch the Macy’s Fourth of July Fireworks
- Create your own summer bucket list for New York City!
So much to do, so little time! Do you think we’ll be able to cram in all of this summer fun? What’s on your summer bucket list for New York City?